Dental Implants vs Dentures - Houston, TX
Both dental implants in Houston, TX and traditional dentures are used to replace missing teeth, but they are built and function in completely different ways.
How dental implants are built: Three parts
1. Titanium. Most are made of titanium, which the body easily accepts. This way they are able to fuse with the jaw bone just like real teeth for a fit that’s more secure than dentures.
2. Abutment. Abutments are the connecting components of dental implants. Dr. Friedberg places the abutments on the exposed parts of the dental implants and connects them to the crowns.
3. Crown. Crowns are the visible components of the treatment, which look, feel and function just like real teeth. They are attached to the abutments.
Comparing dental implants vs dentures
• Titanium v. Plastic: Dental implants are built from titanium, which is friendly to the body and merges well with the jaw bone. Dentures are built from various plastic materials and metal, which aren’t as compatible and can irritate the gums.
• Dependability: They mimic human tooth roots by fusing right into the jaw bone to provide strong, stable teeth that function just as well as real ones. Dentures lack stability because they sit on top of the gum line, slip and create spaces that cause clicking when talking or eating. Dentures also make chewing difficult, which can lead to nutritional deficiencies for some.
• Customization: You can replace a single missing tooth or many missing teeth – it doesn’t matter. Dentures only replace many or all missing teeth.
• Bone protection: They perform like real teeth and stimulate the jaw bone to keep it healthy and strong. Dentures never make contact with your bone but instead rest on top of the gum line, increasing risk of bone deterioration.
• Longevity: Dental implants last forever if you take good care of them. Dentures eventually fade, which places added stress on the gums and jaw bone. In time, dentures become worn and patients need to be refitted with replacements.
5 out of 5 stars based on 1 Review.
Our Google Patient Review
I am very pleased with the end result of my implant placement.
After an initial consult and a thorough explanation about implants and treatment plan presentation I felt very comfortable with Dr. Friedberg.
His office is well equipped with the latest technology and his staff is vey proffesional and friendly
Everything went smooth during the surgery. Dr. Friedberg is an outstanding Periodontist and excellent person. I won't hesitate to refer him to friends and family.
5 out of 5 stars by Blanca Andon on 04/16/2016